GRAMMER is specialized in developing and manufacturing components and systems for car interiors as well as driver and passenger seats for off-road vehicles, trucks, buses, and trains.
As a global partner to the vehicle manufacturing industry, we are represented around the world by our two divisions, Automotive and Commercial Vehicles. Our employees are constantly engaged in developing and producing innovative, flexible solutions to meet challenges in today’s competitive global market. GRAMMER can be found on four continents with more than 50 production, distribution and logistics sites in 20 countries.
GRAMMER is a leading North American full service automotive supplier of highly engineered thermoplastic components and assemblies for interiors and air and fluid management systems.
Here at GRAMMER, we foster a culture that embraces our Grammer CODE: Collaborate in an inclusive environment, Openness in communication and ideas, Drive for results with energy and empower yourself and others by taking ownership of decisions and actions.
What we are looking for:
Grammer is looking for a Product Engineer to join our Grammer Americas team. This role will be located the Plymouth, MI area. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a team environment. This individual will have an opportunity to make lasting and positive changes in our team!
What you will be doing:
· Primary engineering interface for Grammer OEM
· Ability to handle multiple tasks, and adapt well to constant change
· Interface with OEM Engineering, Program Management, Design Studio and Manufacturing to define and implement interior solutions for center consoles and other interior plastic parts
· Work with Program Management to manage the cost, weight, timing and investment of the components to meet targets.
· Work with internal tooling and manufacturing groups to establish feasibility and optimize designs for cost, weight, and investment.
· Support sales in new acquisition and growth opportunities
· Negotiate Grammer best practices with customer wants in design and manufacturing.
· Create and update engineering open issues list (weekly at a minimum, more frequently depending on project needs).
· Create technical specification and requirements for the products (in compliment with customer specifications, FMVSS/ECE).
· Material selection for components.
· Evaluation of customer specifications.
· Prepare product presentations for the customers.
· Lead DFMEA / DFA / DFM teams and documents.
· Support PFMEA / Control Plan / Process Flow - as team member.
· Responsible for GD&T - design and study.
· Responsible for change management and release design reviews.
· Direct contact with product development engineering teams at customer.
· Participate in customer step, design, and technical reviews as required.
· Support builds in supplier and vehicle assembly plants as required.
· Evaluation of the test results.
· Follow direction of supervisor/manager.
· Support other product lines as required
· Travel: Some travel required to Grammer plants (Mexico and US), Grammer global headquarters (Germany) and OEM plants
What you will bring along:
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent work experience
· Minimum 5 years of automotive interior design engineering experience, center console development is ideal
· Working knowledge of Class A part quality requirements (grain, color, gloss, harmony, gap and flushness, perceived quality)
· Working knowledge of plastic part design, wrapped and decorative parts, plastic welding, and assembly processes and tooling construction.
· Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing at all levels of the organization
· Working knowledge of NX and CATIA V5
· Working knowledge of analytical tools (FEA and Mold Flow)
· Experience in an assembly-manufacturing environment
· Previous work with OEM studios
· Some German and/or Spanish is a plus
What we can provide you:
· Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage eligibility on day 1
· Flex Spending Accounts
· Health Savings Account
· Volunteer Life Insurance options
· Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
· Tuition Reimbursement Programs
· Robust Employee Assistance Program Services
· Individualized Developmental Opportunities