Grammer is looking for a Product Engineer to join our team in San Jose, CA location. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a team environment and have an opportunity to make lasting and positive changes in our team.
GRAMMER is a leading North American full service automotive supplier of highly engineered thermoplastic components and assemblies for interiors and air and fluid management systems. GRAMMER is specialized in developing and manufacturing components and systems for car interiors as well as driver and passenger seats for off-road vehicles, trucks, buses, and trains.
As a global partner to the vehicle manufacturing industry we are represented around the world by our two divisions, Automotive and Commercial Vehicles. Our employees are constantly engaged in developing and producing innovative, flexible solutions to meet challenges in today’s competitive global market. GRAMMER can be found on four continents with more than 50 production, distribution and logistics sites in 20 countries.
Here at GRAMMER, we foster a culture that embraces our Grammer CODE: Collaborate in an inclusive environment, Openness in communication and ideas, Drive for results with energy and Empower yourself and others by taking ownership of decisions and actions.
As a new member of the Grammer Team, you will receive a competitive compensation package including benefits such as:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- 401(k) match
- Robust EAP services
- Developmental opportunities
- Much more!
The Product Engineer role is responsible for:
- Primary engineering interface for Grammer with EV automotive OEMs focusing on Tesla, Lucid and Rivian.
- Interface with OEM Engineering, Program Management, Design Studio and Manufacturing to define and implement interior solutions for consoles, headrests, arm rests and bolsters
- Engage Grammer offices in Michigan to ensure development work meets all required functional, packaging, quality and appearance requirements
- Work with Program Management to manage the cost, weight, timing and investment of the components to meet targets.
- Work with internal tooling and manufacturing groups to establish feasibility and optimize designs for cost, weight, and investment.
- Support sales in new acquisition and growth opportunities
- Negotiate Grammer best practices with customer wants in design and manufacturing.
- Participate in customer step, design, and technical reviews as required.
- Support builds in supplier and vehicle assembly plants as required.
- Support other product lines as required
- Travel: Some travel required to Michigan offices, Grammer plants (Mexico and US), and OEM plants
What you will need:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5 years of automotive interior design engineering experience
- Working knowledge of Class A part quality requirements (grain, color, gloss, harmony, gap and flushness, perceived quality)
- Working knowledge of plastic part design, wrapped and decorative parts, plastic welding, and assembly processes and tooling construction.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing at all levels of the organization
· Working knowledge of Unigraphics NX and CATIA V5
- Working knowledge of analytical tools (FEA and Mold Flow)
- Practical Problem Solving (Kaizen) or DFSS certification
- Experience in an assembly-manufacturing environment
- Previous work with OEM studios.
- Some German and/or Spanish is a plus